[squid-users] Re: Newbie to Squid-HELP

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:37:01 -0400

kmo vern wrote:

> I am totally a newbie to SQUID. I can't seem to find any squid
> directories on the NT server.

While an NT version of Squid does exist, Squid is usually installed on a
system running a Unix variant, such as Linux, BSD, or Solaris.

> I do find a PC in the network neighborhood that is "SAMBA Server" This may
> sound dumb, but I haven't found a computer that is a Samba server, is
> something run on the NT server?

Samba is Unix software that allows integration between Unix systems and
Windows workgroups/domains. It does not run on NT. Squid will not appear in
Network Neighborhood, as it does not use Windows networking protocols.

> I am totally lost with Squid and would appreciate anyone's help in this
> matter. All I need to do is find the Samba server and either upgrade it or
> uninstall.

Actually, you need to find the Squid server - Squid and Samba might not be
on the same system (though they often are in Windows network environments).

Once you find the Squid server, download the latest Squid sources to it,
then extract the download file (using tar). There will be documentation
inside, including a README and INSTALL file. Read those first - they should
be enough to get you started.

If you run into problems or have any specific questions, check the FAQ first
- if your question is answered there, that is the fastest way to get an
answer. You can also search the mailing list archives - chances are good
that someone has asked that question before, and like the FAQ, the mailing
list archives are often the fastest way to an answer.

If a question is not in the FAQ and you are unable to find it in the list
archives, post it to the list. Remember to be specific with both your
question and the details you provide - it will get you a better answer in
less time than a vague question with no details.

Adam