RE: [squid-users] X_forwarded_for

From: <ilopez@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:18:31 -0600

| 14/09/2004 08:08 | ilopez@j|
| | |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 ilopez@jalisco.gob.mx wrote:

> Well I have an application that needs 3 layers ,www,application server
and
> db server when some user tries to use the application all user`s requests
> go for squid and my application has to register users that got in and I
> need that squid lets users to pass with the source ip.

Do I understand your picture correctly

Internet Users -> Squid Reverse Proxy -> Application Server -> DB

For this no patching of Squid is required, all you need is to modify the
application to use the HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR CGI variable rather than
REMOTE_ADDR, with suitable cleanup (there may be more than one address in
X-Forwarded-For if the client request was forwarded via a chain of Squid
proxies).

There is patches to some web servers (Apache 1.3) to automate this, but
quite often this is not required.