RE: [squid-users] Problems with https links

From: Martyn Bright <brightm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:05:02 +0100

On Weds 22 Sep 2004, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Eduardo Naiderman wrote:
>
> > I'm using squid/2.5.STABLE3 with authentication and I'm having some
> > poblems when I use a https link in a mail or in a Word Document. I've
> > debug in my PC with Ethereal and Windows is not sending the complete GET
> > after the log in. The error is:
>
> Your browser is seriously broken and forgot to set up the SSL encryption
> when making the https request when requested to authenticate by the proxy.
>
> Setting client_persistent_connections off may work around the buggy
> browser, but only if you are using basic authentication. For NTLM there is
> no workaround other than to get the browser fixed.

client_persistent_connections off worked for me.

Interestingly, I have been tasked with evaluating a number of different
proxies on both Windows and Linux. To date, the only one that has exhibited
this https/auth/domain name stripping problem has been Squid. Does that
mean that the others are effectively all using non persistent connections,
or is Squid missing a trick somewhere?

Martyn Bright