[squid-users] ncsa_auth reject after passwd file updated

From: Geoff LeBoldus <leboldug@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:08:46 -0400

I've been using Squid up to 2.4 in roughly the same configuration for 5
years with nary a problem. I updated to 2.5-STABLE5 in May, and recently to
STABLE6 and am having occasional authentication problems ( 6 times in 5
months ).

Several times a day I gather passwd files from various servers and munge
them into one large file with unique uids. This file then replaces the one
that ncsa_auth uses. I just copy overtop.

Occasionally, all new authentication attempts are rejected after updating
the passwd file that ncsa_auth uses. Squid must be stopped and then
restarted before it will accept new users. 'squid -k reconfigure' has no
effect. Already authenticated users experience no problems.

Server details:

SunFire v210, Solaris 2.9, 1GB RAM.
Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE6
configure options: --prefix=/export/home/squid --enable-storeio=ufs,null,
-enable-basic-auth-helpers=NCSA

I'm not seeing anything in the logs, though I only have "debug_options
ALL,1" in the squid.conf file. I'm guessing I should run as
"debug_options ALL,1 29,9"?

Anyone seen this problem or have a suggestion? Again, this scheme worked
for 5 years on older versions of Squid.