RE: [squid-users] Squid and Apache Authentication

From: Chris Perreault <Chris.Perreault@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:30:26 -0400

There was a patch, just mentioned recently, that was posted here about a
month ago. We had it created for us to do the following:

In reverse proxy (accelerated mode):

User wants to hit internal webserver.

Browser sends the user to the proxy which uses a redirector that sends them
to a webpage. The webpage collects username/password from the user and
auth's against a ldap directory. At that point we can also modify the
headers, create headers, copy headers, etc and then, if authenticated OK,
they are allowed to continue on their way. If not they get an error via a
webpage on the same validated webserver. (Apache in this case).

As to the very in depth details, I can't help much there, which is why we
decided to hire folks to assist us.

Also...we are using squid 3 pre for this. If you don't need to modify the
headers you probably still can create a redirector, as was done for us. The
patch was used to modify headers we wanted to populate.

Chris