Re: [squid-users] Configuring squid on SMP

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:23:48 +0200

On 27.09 13:52, Internet Admin wrote:
> Is there any howto which deals with squid that is being configured on an
> SMP architecture? Coz on
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-3.html#ss3.11 which states that
> in order to benefit the performance of an SMP, you have to

with linux, you can define two balanced virtual servers (it doesn't need
to be the same machine). The same effect you can get with some kind of L3
switch (e.g. Nortel Alteon).

You'd have to set up more (# or #-1 of CPUS) instances of squid, with
different cache directories, and they should be configured as proxy-only
neighbours to each other.

Unless you have very high load, and only one multi-CPU machine with much
RAM and disks (>=1 disk for each instance), it is very probably not worth
doing it.