Re: [squid-users] squid access.log question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:35:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Costas Zacharopoulos wrote:

> How can I take the usernames from squid access.log with a linux box which is
> configured in a workgroup not as domain.
> Which authentication mechanism can I use?

What authentication database you want to use? In a workgroup each computer
have their own password database..

> I want users transparently to connect to my squid server, but to have the
> capability to allow access based on their ip addresses and host names.

So you want their stations to authenticate to Squid, not the users?

There isn't really any "computer authentication" within a workgroup, but
you can query each station for it's name using the nmblookup command from
Samba.. this can also be integrated into Squid to log the station host
name as username in access.log and to base access controls on this
information.

The key is to find a method to get the information you want to base the
access controls on. Once you have a reliable method of returning this
information from the information you have (i.e. IP address) and only this
information (no other crap which may disturb things) then plugging it into
Squid for access control purposes is not hard.