RE: [squid-users] Blocking harmful jpegs/MIME types

From: Derek Winkler <dwinkler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:14:21 -0400

> I like this idea :)
> However, blocking all jpegs wouldn't be the best thing to do..
> One way to solve this is to write a redirector that redirects
> all http requests with an url that ends with .jpg to a local
> cgi script. The scripts fetches the jpg-file, verifies that
> it is harmless and hands it to squid. In case it contains
> something bad another image is sent to squid instead.

This will only partially work since it doesn't matter what the JPEG's
extension is. You can give it a tiff or gif extension or who knows what
elese, it will still be treated as a jpeg by Windows.

I repeat, use a virus scanner that can detect them.

---
proprietary to Algorithmics Incorporated and its affiliates
("Algorithmics").  If received in error, use is prohibited.  Please destroy,
and notify sender.  Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or
virus-free.  Algorithmics does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions.  Any commitment intended to bind Algorithmics must be reduced to
writing and signed by an authorized signatory.