Re: [squid-users] Compiling Squid With Sun LDAP SDK 5.2

From: Tim Neto <tneto@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:14:01 -0400

Why do you need to compile additional helpers. The standard
squid_ldap_auth and squid_ldap_group helpers work fine against the
SunONE Directory server 5.2. I have been using Squid 2.5 STABLE 5 since
January against SunONE Directory Server 5.2. Here are some snippets
from my Squid config file.

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/squid_ldap_auth -h
ldap_host.your_domain.org -p ldap_port -P -b o=base_ou -f
"(|(uid=%s)(mail=%s))"
auth_param basic children 20
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 5 minute
external_acl_type ldap_group %LOGIN /usr/lib/squid/squid_ldap_group -h
ldap_host.your_domain.org -p ldap_port -P -b o=base_ou -F
"(|(uid=%s)(mail=%s))" -f
"(&(cn=%g)(uniquemember=%u)(objectClass=groupOfUniqueNames))"

I recently added to the LDAP query the ability to authenticate with the
user's E-Mail address. This allowed for the distinguishing of duplicate
users in the LDAP database. JDough of sub-company-A verses JDough of
sub-company-B. The user enters their ID as
jdough@sub-company-b.your_domain.org.

Biggest things to watch for are DNS (/etc/hosts) resolution of the LDAP
host, and your understanding of the structure of your LDAP schema.
Initially I had trouble with querying the LDAP schema. I was trying to
make it too complex.

No point in chasing encryption of the LDAP binds (unless you absolutely
have to), currently none of the common browers support encryption for
proxy challenges.

Tim

Timothy E. Neto
 Computer Systems Engineer Komatsu Canada Limited
 Ph#: 905-625-6292 x265 1725B Sismet Road
 Fax: 905-625-6348 Mississauga, Canada
 E-Mail: tneto@komatsu.ca L4W 1P9