[squid-users] Re: reduce wan link traffic--> query

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:54:37 -0400

Joel n.solanki wrote:

> Now i want to test wheather it is reducing the overall bandwidth or not.
> my squidclient mgr_client_list tell me this
>
> HTTP: 195075 Requests, 57193 Hits ( 29%)
>
> So i guess hits is the bandwidth saving. M i right ?

No. This is the percentage of requests, not bytes, that have been served
from the cache. For bandwidth savings, you need to measure the bytes.

I would suggest using Calamaris (linked to from the Squid website, under
Logfile Analysis). It parses your access.log and gives a variety of useful
statistics, including bandwidth savings (the byte percentage of HITs).

Adam