Re: [squid-users] Browser auto-complete and squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:08:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Nick wrote:

> When the browser points to a caching proxy, it never fails a DNS lookup so
> the browser auto-complete never cuts in. I can't think of any browser level
> solution, however, this functionality could easily be employed at the caching
> proxy level.

You can use a proxy.pac file to trigger the address completetion while
using the proxy. I don't remember the exact details but I think it is
automatic if the pac file looks for the destination server IP address.

> I would like a way to set squid so that if it received a one-word URL, it
> first tries to resolve the URL (It may be a valid hostname on the local
> network).

You should be able to use a redirector for this. Certainly so with the
help of "append_domain autocomplete" and have the redirector look for
and act on requests like http://hostname.autocomplete/...