Re: [squid-users] Multiple http servers behind a single squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:27:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Jim Nachlin wrote:

> Sorry for so basic a question, but I'm trying to set up squid as an httpd
> accelerator for several httpds running on different IP addresses. It should
> be possible, using some combination of
>
> httpd_accel_host virtual

This is for IP based virtual hosting, makign Squid use the IP address of
the http(s)_port. Most likely you are looking for
httpd_accel_uses_host_header which enabled Host header based virtual
hosting.

> httpd_accel_single_host off
>
> etc. I can't find any documentation on how to actually do this, or on how
> the packets will be redirected. If my servers are now 1.2.3.4 and 1.2.3.5,
> will the machine hosting squid now have those addresses, or if not, how will
> the requests from clients go to squid.

All the httpd_accel_* directives is about (with httpd_accel_single_host
off) is how Squid should reconstruct the requested URL. The actual
forwarding of the URL is then identical to that of normal proxying.

   httpd_accel_host Default web site

   httpd_accel_uses_host_header Domain based virtual host support

   httpd_accel_single_host off (required)

   httpd_accel_with_proxy on (recommended for HTTP compliance)

   http_access should limit access to your web sites only, to avoid direct
or indirect proxy abuse.

1. http_access
2. Redirectors, allowing the URLs to be rewritten if required.
3. Cache lookup
4. Path selection via cache_peer, always/never_direct etc.
5. Actual forwarding to the selected server, either directly to the host
name of the URL, or via the selected peer.