Re: [squid-users] help setting up upstream proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:19:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, forums@kentane.net wrote:

> I have a problem that I have been battling with for almost a week now. The
> problem is that my ISP has a proxy server that I would like to use as the
> upstream proxy for squid. This proxy server does not support ICP, they also
> don't have any intentions of setting it up that way.

Then you need to use "prefer_direct off", or tell Squid that it is inside
a firewall and MUST use the ISP proxy on all requests.

> This does not seem to work because when I try and connect, my squid gives me an
> access denied error. I know for sure that I am messing up with this line, but I
> don't know where.

If you seen an access denied message from Squid then your http_access
rules are not set up correctly. This is independent of using the ISP proxy
or not.

If the access denied message you see is from the ISP then there is some
problem with the account information.

What do you see in access.log?