RE: [squid-users] Bypassing Squid for local address destination

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:04:13 +0200

> Hello Elsen,
>
> Wednesday, October 20, 2004, 2:49:47 PM, you wrote:
>
> EM> You can't once a request is 'in' SQUID; squid has to
> EM> deal with it.
>
> really ?
> I have my access.log to become very big!! How at least to overcome
> this problem ?

  Use :

  squid -k rotate

  at regular times to rotate the logs (from cron e.g.).
  Check the 'logfile_rotate' directive in squid.conf.default, w.r.t
  how many logfiles to keep.

> EM> You have to solve this at the client side. By proxy conf.
> EM> settings to direct the client to go directly for those
> EM> requests.
>
> It is not an envisegable solution for this moment

  It must be in the sense that http contains no provisions
  for a cache to tell the client. 'Hey I refuse this request,
  go directly, please'.

  M.