Re: [squid-users] Bypassing Squid for local address destination

From: oke <aqil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:30:21 +0700

Hello Elsen,

>> EM> You can't once a request is 'in' SQUID; squid has to
>> EM> deal with it.
>>
>> really ?
>> I have my access.log to become very big!! How at least to overcome
>> this problem ?

EM> Use :

EM> squid -k rotate

I am already rotating my Squid for long time enough and never got any
problems.

I am also using reply_body_max_size to prevent users to download
big things :).
But since Squid is set not to limit downloads for local address
destination, my access.log file have grown fantastically

[root@proxy etc]# ls -l /var/logs/access.log.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody root 418721213 Oct 19 00:00 /var/logs/access.log.1

>> EM> You have to solve this at the client side. By proxy conf.
>> EM> settings to direct the client to go directly for those
>> EM> requests.
>>
>> It is not an envisegable solution for this moment
>>

EM> It must be in the sense that http contains no provisions
EM> for a cache to tell the client. 'Hey I refuse this request,
EM> go directly, please'.

Does exist a smart way to tell squid not cache or what if such request
occurs ?