Re: [squid-users] Problems with Authenticator

From: Muthukumar <kmuthu_gct@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:40:43 +0530

> has authenticated himself. If the authentication fails, the authenticator
> returns "ERR".

It is correct.

> My first try is this dummy-authenticator:
> When I use this authenticator, I am prompted for a username and password.
> After authenticating with any username and password, the proxy says:

Yes it is asking and working.
I have tried this in my Cache server for authentication type and it is working there.

> Cache Access Denied.
> http://www.google.com/

It seems your http_access rule is not allowing to access cache there.

> auth_param basic program /usr/src/null_auth

Are you having the authenticator in this location with executable permission there?
Try on command line as,
/usr/src/null_auth
test test
OK
OK

> auth_param basic children 20
> auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
> auth_param basic credentialsttl 1 minutes

> acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED
> http_access allow password

It is correct.

> Since I can find the "OK" in my cache.log, I assue that the authenticator
> is used by squid. Why does the authencation fail?

Are you using any more http_access rules there.? And did you reconfigure your running squid.? after making changes?
Try to stop your squid and use, configuration as,

auth_param basic program /usr/src/null_auth
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
auth_param basic casesensitive off

acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED

Go to the starting of # TAG: http_reply_access.
# http rule
http_access allow auth
http_access deny all

Try now. Are you okie.