[squid-users] How to max out a squid configuration

From: Michael Gale <michael.gale@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:41:10 -0600

Hello,

        Another team member and I where discussing how we would go about the
following using squid or if squid is the best option for this.

Lets you where an ISP and provided all your customers with static IP
addresses. You setup squid to act as a tranparent proxy so eveyone can
benifit from the web cache.

Now at the moment you have many ISP customers, some want content
filtering, some want popup filtering and some want no filtering at all.

How would you go about making ever body happy, we came up with the
following solution, please let me know what you think.

1. Get a list of all the access control rules you can use with a src IP
restriction (dstdomain, url_regex, ...)

2. Create some form of web interface allowing customers to create
filters based on their needs using only pull down menus and text boxes
for urls / domains.

3. This information would be saved in a databased and nightly a script
would compile the list of rules from a database and create a new
squid.conf file. After each customers rules are added the squid.conf
file would be checked for syntax errors, if so that customers rules
would be removed to the last known working configuration.

Then once all is done squid would be restarted.

Now obiviously some things jump out right way, like how many filters
would one customer make, would the average person be able to use the web
  gui -- not over loading squid with millions of access control rules
and such forth.

Has any body attempted or used such a solution ??

--
Michael Gale
Lan Administrator