Re: [squid-users] Caching requests with parameters in the URL?

From: Brian Lalor <blalor@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:28:30 -0500

On Oct 21, 2004, at 4:02 PM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Brian Lalor wrote:
>
>> I'm working on setting up a reverse caching proxy to augment the
>> performance of a very slow web application, and I'm evaluating squid
>> for this purpose. Most of the URLs generated by this application have
>> parameters in the URL, and squid refuses to cache these.
>
> More likely your server does not return any freshness information, and
> you do not have a refresh_pattern telling Squid what to do..
>
> See the cacheability check engine. It gives very good descriptions of
> why/why not a page is cacheable.

I think I've figured out the problem; I commented out these two lines
in squid.conf:
        acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
        no_cache deny QUERY

Even when my server was returning headers to allow squid to cache (and
proven by the cacheability check engine), squid would drop anything
with query params in the URL, a la
        http://example.com/some_cacheable_resource?not=happy

Now squid seems happy without the acl and no_cache lines. Will this
cause other problems?

--
Brian Lalor
Web Portal Analyst