Re: [squid-users] flat file parsing vs db filter rules parsing

From: Muthukumar <kmuthu_gct@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:58:39 +0530

Hello Henrik,

    Thanks for your great replies and detailed analysis.

    We are having requirements as

        1. To analyse performace difference between flat files vs db based one
        2. Adaptability of DB configuration files on SQUID
        3. Code coverage of filter rules parsing
        4. Make a filter which adapted with DB files.

> Regex patterns does not allow for an efficient lookup. All regex based ACLs will by definition use a linear list where lookup time
> is linear to the number of entries in the acl. This applies to both Squid and SquidGuard.

So Filter rules lookup are linearly based on pattern rule entries count.

> You need to use one of the more structured acls to benefit from structured lookups. In Squid dstdomain is a good example of a
> structured acl as domains have a certain structure (hierarchical, alphabetically sortable) which makes it possible to use a very
> efficient lookup mechanism to determine if any given domain is matched by the acl or not.

Lookup mechanism will be based on information availability stuctures as Flat files or database with indexing, etc.. If we are going
to use really big filter rules then performance of lookup will be differed more.

> In Squid splay trees are used in this kind of ACLs. I don't remember what SquidGuard is using for their equivalent acl type..

I had a lookup on splay tree concepts. But I tried to know about squidguard but squidguard domain is not reachable?

We are having a objective as To make a filter with DB based configuration informations.
It has to reach efficient performace with adaptation with squid. We are on the analysis TODO this.

Do we have to follow any RFC format to make a filter with DB based one?

Thanks for your review.

Regards
Muthukumar.

---