Re: [squid-users] flat file parsing vs db filter rules parsing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:31:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Muthukumar wrote:

> But the Regex pattern's and information strings related to acl filters parsing time is the difference factor.

Regex patterns does not allow for an efficient lookup. All regex based
ACLs will by definition use a linear list where lookup time is linear to
the number of entries in the acl. This applies to both Squid and
SquidGuard.

You need to use one of the more structured acls to benefit from structured
lookups. In Squid dstdomain is a good example of a structured acl as
domains have a certain structure (hierarchical, alphabetically sortable)
which makes it possible to use a very efficient lookup mechanism to
determine if any given domain is matched by the acl or not.

In Squid splay trees are used in this kind of ACLs. I don't remember what
SquidGuard is using for their equivalent acl type..