Re: [squid-users] flat file parsing vs db filter rules parsing

From: Muthukumar <kmuthu_gct@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:47:55 +0530

Hello Henrik,

    Thanks once again for your reply on this.

>> I heard Performance and parsing time using db based are fast. Can we adopt db based filter rules parsing on squid-2.5 series
>> without using any redirectors there. How the squid-3.0 adaptation will be differed from now?
>
> The difference is the parsing time. The lookup time is the same. When using a db based filter parsing is done when building the
> db, when using a flat file parsing is done when reading the configuration.
>
> lookup time is determined mainly by the type of acl, not how it is stored.

So look up time to get the type of ACL is same.
But the Regex pattern's and information strings related to acl filters parsing time is the difference factor.

>> Can you prefer, how we can know filter rules parsing with flat files or db based conceptually? We are on-going with source files
>> of squid's *cf* .c and .h files. We are on the analysis to improve squid filter rules parsing and filter adapation.
>
> squid only have the flat file approach to acl specifications, parsing the whole acl each time the configuration file is read,
> storing the parsed result in memory for optimal lookup time. It should be noted that when the acl is parsed it is no longer a flat
> file but using other structures (depending on the acl type).

So squid is doing filters parsing with FLAT files.
Is squid developement team having an idea to deploy DB based FILTER pattern parsing & Recognition rules as like squidGuard?

> squidGuard have the option to select db based or flat file. As said earlier the lookup performance is identical, but the startup
> performance (parsing) is significantly different for very large lists.

We are on the analysis, to deploy DB based filter parsing with SQUID. Is it good and efficient based on parsing time performance.?
Does any one had analysed DB filter parsing comparision with FLAT File parsing?

Is squid 3.0 Series going to support DB Based filters as like squidGuard. (or) Going to give more supportivity to filter redirectors
to get varied on performace for very large lists of filters?

Regards
Muthukumar.

---
===============  It is a "Virus Free Mail" ===============