Re: [squid-users] Ad-zapping redirector causes IE to think it never completes loading a page

From: James Gray <james_gray@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:54:40 +1000

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:39 pm, Herman wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:10 pm, Ken.Thomson@audit.nsw.gov.au wrote:
> >>I am running Squid 2.5STABLE5 and trying to block a few of the more
> >>prominent web advertisements that chew bandwidth.
> >
> > Seems you're reinventing the wheel. Why not use an
> > off-the-shelf-redirector called "BannerFilter"? We've been using it
> > quite effectively for nearly 2 years without any problems at all. Check
> > it out:
> > http://www.phroggy.com/bannerfilter/
> > James
>
> Hmm, what is the dis/advantage of Bannerfilter over SquidGuard?
>
> Herman

[Top posting fixed]

Bannerfilter just filters banners and ads, replacing them with a basic
transparent GIF, empty SWF, or empty JS code. It doesn't do the whole
web-site blocking thing, which manglement (sic) have told me is not allowed
at our site - they believe the policy will be sufficient without any
enforcement. Politics - ugh!

I have no interest other than as a satisfied user of bannerfilter. If you
only want to replace banner ads etc, and not restrict access beyond that,
it's a good option IMHO.

Cheers,

James