Re: [squid-users] Ad-zapping redirector causes IE to think it never completes loading a page

From: James Gray <james_gray@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:02:23 +1000

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:32 pm, Angela Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 08:10, Ken.Thomson@audit.nsw.gov.au wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am running Squid 2.5STABLE5 and trying to block a few of the more
> > prominent web advertisements that chew bandwidth.
>
> Andy Lyttle's bannerfilter take out all the pain of reinventing the wheel!
> http://www.phroggy.com/bannerfilter/
> We've run it on our squid boxes for over a year now with nary a problem.
> I've also used it to redirect our intranet sites for the internal users
> that insisted on using the external uri's - ok I will phix the dns real
> soon!
>
> Cheers
> Ang

With the external/internal sites, we have a similar problem; same URL but
different IP's. So, http://our.site.foo/ is 1.2.3.4 externally but
172.24.100.4 internally.

I could've used Bind8/9 and set up "views" for that same zone, but alas
manglement insists M$ (in)ActiveDirectory is a better option. Grrrr. So
instead I just put the internal IP in the proxy's /etc/hosts file, HUP'ed
squid and voila! If an internal user accesses http://our.site.foo/ the proxy
goes to the internal address. As external users don't use the internal
proxy, the DNS only needs to resolve to the external address. All this works
great as long as internal users use the proxy - which we have set using AD's
group policy stuff.

Not sure if this will help you but it's in the archives now in case anyone
wants to know how to force squid to use a specific IP instead of what DNS
resolves to.

Cheers,

James