Re: [squid-users] squid Scaling

From: Murugavel Thiruvengadam <tmurugavel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:22:06 +0530

FYI

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Murugavel Thiruvengadam wrote:

> Minimum you will get 2600 -- 9000 Request per second. We are planning to put
> Dual CPU Xeon Processor with 4GB of RAM. multiple Scsi Controller.

Are you sure about that 2600 --9000 requests/second? It is an awful lot
requests/second and there is no chance you can run this on a single server
or even an handful number of servers.. (more like a rack of servers).

> In what way we can increase the performance.
>
> Squid will be single threaded application. So It will not make use of
> the other processor.
>
> We have following options to choose
>
> 1) Squid with Multiple Instances and Same Cache and Log directory

Not an option. Only one Squid instance at the time can use the same cache
and logs.

> 2) Squid With Multiple Instances and Different Cache and Log Directory

This works. It won't give you all the performance this quad SMP system has
to give, but quite likely you should be able to see at least 75%
effectiveness in the utilization.

> 3)Squid with multiple Instances and multiple SCSI Controller.

Number of SCSI controllers are not likely to make much difference unless
you need very many drives and this causes a physical bottleneck on the
controllers (not being able to connect more drives..).

Squid is mostly seek time bound. I/O bandwidth is rarely a problem.

--
 "Success comes to the person who does today"