[squid-users] Allow access to specific sites only

From: Fogle, Don - OPS System Administrator <drfogle@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:41:11 -0500

I have Squid installed at our high school and am using ncsa_auth for
authentication. That part is working great. I have been asked to
restrict access to only certain sites for a few of our problem students.
Below is what I am testing. I want the user "fogledr" to only have
access to *.novelstars.com and *.edoption.com while allowing all other
users to have full access. I have included also the example I found on
the Squid FAQ.

This looks to me like it should work but once I authenticate the
"fogledr" account I am still allowed to go browse anywhere. Is there
something I am overlooking?

acl allowinternet proxy_auth REQUIRED
acl novelstars_only proxy_auth fogledr
acl novelstars dstdomain .novelstars.com .edoption.com
http_access allow novelstars_only novelstars
http_access allow allowinternet

This is the example I found in the FAQ:

Squid allows you to provide fine-grained controls by specifying
individual user names. For example:

acl foo proxy_auth REQUIRED
acl bar proxy_auth lisa sarah frank joe
acl daytime time 08:00-17:00
acl all src 0/0
http_access allow bar
http_access allow foo daytime
http_access deny all

In this example, users named lisa, sarah, joe, and frank are allowed to
use the proxy at all times. Other users are allowed only during daytime
hours.

Thanks for your help,

Don Fogle
System Administrator