Re: [squid-users] transparent proxying

From: Russ Uhte <russlists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:45:41 -0500

Giedrius wrote:
> Russ Uhte wrote:
>
>> Giedrius wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there any way to detect transparent squid-proxy running?
>>> I want to share my internet connection, so that administrator
>>> couldn't detect this. I decided to use transparent proxying in squid.
>>> Will this work for me?
>>

>> Nothing's impossible to detect. It really depends on how much access
>> your administrator has to your network. Also, some one good at
>> analyzing packets could probably sniff the web traffic and figure out
>> pretty quickly what was going on.
>>
>> Basically, if you're not allowed to do it, you really shouldn't be
>> doing it!!

> So is it easy to detect the packets coming from squid or all proxies are
> easy detectable?
> I used tinyproxy, some weaks ago and administrator didn't see that. But
> tinyproxy isn't very
> functional, so I need squid.

It really depends on what you call easy. Some people are better at
recognizing patterns than others, and that would be what was really
needed to detect a transparent proxy.

Again, I reiterate, if you're not supposed to do it, you probably
shouldn't, and it's probably best not to ask on a public list that any
one, including your administrator could read it...

-Russ

---