RE: [squid-users] reverse proxy with caching and authentication

From: newsgroupie <newsgroupie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 16:37:31 +1100

There is a manual hack that I have used successfully to get proxy auth
working in accelerator mode.
(BTW I found this fix posted somewhere in this newsgroup long ago so all
credits go to Henrik Nordstrom)

You need to edit the source before compiling as follows:

Edit the src/Makefile file by adding the following at the DEFS line

-DAUTH_ON_ACCELERATION

Then compile in the usual manner. Works fine for me using 2.5 stable3 on
RH7.3 with winbind auth helper but should work for any others I imagine.
Don't know exactly why auth on acceleration is not enabled by default.
I'm guessing it has something to do with possible authentication
conflicts on the http server as you can only have one layer of http
auth.

Hope this helps,

Dave H