[squid-users] absent dns : might be resolved by reverse-proxy ?

From: <apmailist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:34:44 +0100

Hi,

Here is the case :

Two different client networks need to access one same (and new) intranet web
server.

The first network has a dns server, and so clients may access this server by
it's name , no problem.
To be true, this dns server is not needed, thanks to the Squid proxy server
that's also there : Browsers will not be reconfigured, so this new intranet
server won't be in the "excluded" list, and so then requests will be passed to
Squid who will do the name-ip address translation. (correct?)

The second network has no dns server, and no proxy server. So the clients won't
be able to translate addresses.
Moreover, this intranet web server will be divided into several virtual hosts.
Clients access a first default server, and will then be able to access several
different virtual hosts.
Clients will be able to do name resolution for the first server. (because I will
use aliases, so that it responds to the old server's ip address.)

The core problem is here : How can I make the clients access those secondary
virtual hosts by their name (no ip address resolution available)?

I 've been thinking about reverse-proxying . Could a reverse proxy, in front of
the default server (or "in place of") be able to handle the name resolution
problem for the clients ?

for example :
on first page, there is a link to "http://example.internal.net" and clients
can't do name resolution for "example.internal.net" . Maybe a reverse proxy do
it for them ?

(have I been clear enough ?)

Thank you,

Andrew