Re: [squid-users] absent dns : might be resolved by reverse-proxy ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:55:41 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 apmailist@free.fr wrote:

> that's also there : Browsers will not be reconfigured, so this new intranet
> server won't be in the "excluded" list, and so then requests will be passed to
> Squid who will do the name-ip address translation. (correct?)

Correct.

> The second network has no dns server, and no proxy server. So the clients won't
> be able to translate addresses.

Then the clients will be somewhat stuck.. you need either a proxy or name
resolution of some kind for browsers to be able to get anywhere.

> Moreover, this intranet web server will be divided into several virtual hosts.
> Clients access a first default server, and will then be able to access several
> different virtual hosts.
> Clients will be able to do name resolution for the first server. (because I will
> use aliases, so that it responds to the old server's ip address.)
>
> The core problem is here : How can I make the clients access those secondary
> virtual hosts by their name (no ip address resolution available)?

You can't.

But if your applications is properly designed you can run them all via a
reverse proxy on the main name. This way all requests goes to the main
name and then the reverse proxy forwards the request to the correct
application server depending on what was requested. For example

   http://intranet.example.com/app1 -> application server 1
   http://intranet.example.com/app2 -> application server 2
   [etc]

But this requires that you have some control of the applicaiton servers
configuration to make them fit as components into the larger
intranet.example.com virtual server built by the reverse proxy.