[squid-users] Squid returning wrong content

From: Tobias Reckhard <jester71@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:03:43 +0100

Hello

We're experiencing a very weird phenomenon on a Squid proxy on a Debian
GNU/Linux woody system (the squid package version is 2.4.6-2woody4).
Seemingly initiated by one access to http://www.immowelt.de this noon, the
number of requests and amount of data transferred subsequently increased
remarkably (from ~5000 requests/min and ~4MB/min to ~16000 requests/min and
30MB/min respectively) five minutes later, after which the proxy started
answering requests for all sorts of pages (among them http://www.google.de)
with the data of http://www.immowelt.de. Not all requests, but around 80%
of them. The logs make it appear as if ~65% of all requests are for pages
within immowelt.de (with the next most number of requests being for what
calamaris displays as '<error>' and at only 8%). As can be imagined, the
users aren't exactly thrilled.

We have so far been unable to find any explanation for this strange
behaviour. Has anyone else observed this kind of thing or have an idea on
what may be causing it, how we could pinpoint the cause and remedy the
situation? If so, I'd be very grateful to hear about it. I'll be happy to
provide any information I can.

Cheers,
Tobias