Re: [squid-users] NTLM www authentication through a transparent Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:25:07 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Martin Marji Cermak wrote:

> I searched the list and available documentation so I know that NTLM is still
> unproxyable.
> But can I somehow prosper from the fact my Squid is transparent?

Squid is still a HTTP proxy, even in transparent mode. As the NTLM
authentication "scheme" does not follow the HTTP specifications it fails
when forwarded via HTTP proxies unless the HTTP proxy has significant
workarounds to deal with NTLM authentiaction.

The best action is to convince the site operator to switch to https on
their authenticated parts of the site. This solves both authentiaction and
security.