Re: [squid-users] remote attack

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:02:53 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Ronny wrote:

> Well well you can crash anything if you insist all things are possible with
> time and ofcourse $$$$ but for squid we the FANS make it fragile though its a
> good "redeemer"!!

Indeed. Too many users set up Squid as an open proxy, but this does not
crash it (only make you blocked from many things and generaly a fool of
yourself)

> Otherwise netstat will show you the killer and all will come to normal.

True in the case of connection flooding. But it does not require $$$$ or
even intelligence (only if you want to hide yourself).

> http://www.idefense.com/application/poi/display?id=152&type=vulnerabilities&flashstatus=true

This issue was addressed before the advisory was published, as can be seen
in the text.

As with all software if you do not keep the software updated with the
proper security fixes then you will be vulnerable to past issues.

If users do not subscribe to the squid-announce list and take the
recommended actions when told it is not much we can do about it, is it?