Re: [squid-users] caching SLES updates

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:47:47 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Hendrik Voigtländer wrote:

> I am trying to convince squid to cache the updates provided by SuSE for the
> SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES).
> I have tried to set a refresh_pattern but no success.
> I must add that the site is password protect and a valid support account must
> be used to perform the update. Is the password protection the problem or am I
> doing something else wrong?

It is. See RFC 2616 section 14.8 third paragraph.

       When a shared cache (see section 13.7) receives a request
       containing an Authorization field, it MUST NOT return the
       corresponding response as a reply to any other request, unless one
       of the following specific exceptions holds:

[followed by a number of criterias whereby the server can allow such
'public content' I think]