Re: [squid-users] LVS & Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 04:00:14 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Brad Taylor wrote:

> Can Squid and LVS be setup on the same two physical boxes and all be one
> IP address?

Squid should run just fine in a HA LVS setup. See the LVS documentation
for how to set up LVS as none of this matters to Squid. Provided the LVS
setup is correct Squid will be happy.

> If this can be done the LVS would be a load balancer and web cache
> accelerator. I'd like to setup one box in the LVS as primary load
> balancer and secondary squid. The other box a primary squid and a
> secondary load balancer, so if either fail the other takes over. Can
> that be done?

Yes. You can also run the Squids active-active.

> How would sessions be handled? The web servers are HTTPS on IIS. Need
> to make sure clients return to the same server during the same session.

Trickier unless the servers have different names and redirect to their
name for the session.

If you set up LVS to use sticky server selection forwarding all requests
from the same client IP to the same Squid, and each Squid using one server
only then something like this would be acheived.