Re: [squid-users] Slow Squid

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:56:40 +0100

On 15.11 12:23, Sturgis, Grant wrote:
> I am writing for ideas on how I can increase the performance of my squid
> cache.
>
> I am running:
>
> cache_dir aufs on ext2
[...]

> The hardware is:
>
> Dell PE 1650
> 2-Intel PIII 1133 MHz
> 4 GB RAM
>
> The symptom is that during our peak utilization periods, when HTTP
> requests get over about 750/min, the response time gets very slow, over
> 800 ms or so. I understand that squid is single threaded, but we are
> running a number of the redirector processes and it seems that the CPU
> workload is distributed fairly well. This is determined by examining
> /proc/stat with MRTG. Neither CPU seems to reach above 55% utilization
> so I do not think the system is CPU bound.

55% is already quite much, however that is probably not the problem.

> One thing that is concerning:
>
> [root@proxy squid]# free -m
> total used free shared buffers
> cached
> Mem: 3778 3756 22 0 472
> 2154
> -/+ buffers/cache: 1129 2649
                           ^^^^
this says you only use a bit more than 1GB of memory.

> Also, I do understand that reiserfs is a recommended file system over
> ext2; do you think it will make a large difference to change this?

yes, there is high probability that changing to xfs/jfs/reiserfs would
help you.

> Any suggestions for things I can do to determine why my cache is slow or
> how to make improvements in performance?

try to see how disks are loaded using 'iostat -d 1'

Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody