[squid-users] Squid limits and hardware spec

From: Martin Marji Cermak <mc1@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:07:40 +0800

Hello Guys,
I am going to run a Squid box for a lot of users.
I want to handle as much users as possible (thousands - I work for a
small ISP).

Unfortunately, I am not sure what the Squid limits are and my boss asked
me to specify the hardware I wanted him to buy.

Please, answer my folowing questions:

1) What are the Sqids's limits?
(I got to 100 client HTTP request/seconds so far)

2) What hardware would you recommend for its maximal performance?
I am going to dedicate a Debian linux box for Squid, there will be no
other services.

3) What maximum_object_size whould you use, considering I want to save
as much bandwidth as possible?
(I have : "maximum_object_size 51200 KB" at the moment,
together with : "cache_dir aufs /cache 25000 16 256"
and I got close to 15% Byte Hit Ratio)

Thank you, guys,
Marji