Re: [squid-users] cache_dir slection criteria

From: Hendrik Voigtlaender <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:32:39 +0100

marc elsen wrote:

>> I have noticed a strange behaviour of squid:
>> I have 4 disks of different size dedicated for cache_dirs in my machine.
>> With 4 cache_dirs of equal size (small enough to fit all disk sizes)
>> all directories are used evenly.
>> After increasing to of the cache_dir located on the bigger disks the
>> smaller cache_dirs are no longer used to store new objects.
>>
>> What is the selection criteria when squid chooses the cache_dir?
>>
>> Is there any explanation to this behaviour?
>>

> There is a parameter called
>
> store_dir_selection_algorithm
>
> in squid.conf.default , if I remember its name correctly.
> Check it out, by reading the comment.
>
> M.

Aaaarg, why can't I remember those parameters when I need them, I have
seen this countless times when browsing through squid.conf :-(
I think I could solve my problem by using round-robin, which is pretty
much self explaining. One question remains: What is squid's opinion of
"least-load" ?

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer