[squid-users] Re: More flexible logging options?

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:19:18 -0500

Shawn Wright wrote:

> During times when our proxy is being assaulted by spyware, it spends a
> great deal of CPU time logging these denials. I would like to explore the
> possibility of one or more of the following:

> -limiting max # of connections allocated to a single IP per minute, since
> delay pools won't help when all the connections are denials (I don't
> think).

The maxconn acl type can do this, though I believe Squid will still log a
TCP_DENIED for each request over the limit. Probably not the solution you
are looking for.

You could use a program to tail the access.log (a simple Perl script could
do it) and block an IP address using the OS's firewall if the number of
denied requests passes a certain threshold.

Adam