[squid-users] Squid RPM compile flags (was cache hit 0.0000)

From: Lucia Di Occhi <saint_lucy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:40:16 +0000

Thanks for all your replies on the cache hit. I had just installed my squid
server during the weekend and it wasn't running it under heavy load. Now
under heavier load I can see the cache hits showing up and given the more
memory and CPU cache I definitely have a better response on cache hits than
I had on my older dell 1750.

But … Let me ask you gurus a question:

I have noticed that some stats are quite impressive compared to my previous
box (dell 1750), but some others are definitely worst on my new box (dell
6550). The main difference I am noticing is on cache missed where my old
box outperformed the new one by a factor of 3. I am guessing that this
cannot be related to disk performance since the new box has 3 disks in
hardware raid5 like the old one did and the disks on the new box are faster.
  Also I am using the same FS (ext3).

The only difference as far as quid is:
- on the old dell 1750 I was using squid2.5-Stable5 from the redhat RPM
- on the new dell 6550 I am using squid2.5-Stable7 compiled from source with
the flags that I had posted.

Now my question is: what are the compile flags used in the fedora RPMS? I
could get the list of configure flags on the old box (squid installed by
RPM) by doing a squid -v and so I did replicate most of them for the new box
eliminating some NTLM and other stuff I do not use, but how about the
compile flags? How do I know which flags are passed to make in the RPM?
Could it be that the compile flags used by just typing make are different
from the compile flags used in the RPM?

Thanks.