[squid-users] Digest Authentication

From: Glenn Baptista <glenn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:52:29 +0530

Hello,

I have been trying to authenticate users using a 'Digest Authentication'
scheme but have not had success. I have been unable to find some
communication where this is described, though there are emails listing
some problems and many indicating that this may not be possible,
possibly because of the environment.

Is digest authentication is possible in the following environment.
1. We are using squid version 2.5 Stable 3 on a Redhat 9 server (and
are happy to upgrade to any other suitable version).
2. We wish to authenticate using an independent DIGEST scheme; the
equivalent of 'ncsa_auth', because the users are not already centrally
authenticated. We wish to add the users and passwords to the Linux box
ONLY FOR SQUID; the users are not Linux OS users.

If the answer to the above is yes, the queries are:
1. What is the version of squid where this is possible?
2. What is the authentication program and is it part of the
'/usr/lib/squid/' directory or does it have to be separately compiled.
3. What is the name of the program which will create the password file
and where is it located.

Thank you for your help.

Yours sincerely,

Glenn Baptista