Re: [squid-users] Digest Authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:17:50 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Glenn Baptista wrote:

> Is digest authentication is possible in the following environment.
> 1. We are using squid version 2.5 Stable 3 on a Redhat 9 server (and are
> happy to upgrade to any other suitable version).
>
> 2. We wish to authenticate using an independent DIGEST scheme; the
> equivalent of 'ncsa_auth', because the users are not already centrally
> authenticated. We wish to add the users and passwords to the Linux box ONLY
> FOR SQUID; the users are not Linux OS users.

Good. This is the only mode Squid supports.

> If the answer to the above is yes, the queries are:
> 1. What is the version of squid where this is possible?

Squid-2.5 or later.

> 2. What is the authentication program and is it part of the
> '/usr/lib/squid/' directory or does it have to be separately compiled.

You need to enable the digest scheme and compile the password digest
helper.

> 3. What is the name of the program which will create the password file and
> where is it located.

The helper shipped with Squid-2.5 uses plain text password file for Digest
with the format

login:password

The helper shipped with Squid-3.0 (also works with Squid-2.5) also
understands encrypted password files created by the htdigest program from
Apache.