[squid-users] Intermittent delay when requesting certain pages

From: Joshua Colson <jcolson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:25:14 -0700

Hello all,

  I'm running squid-2.4.STABLE6-6.7.3 on Red Hat Linux 7.2.

  I'm experiencing some strange delays when requesting certain (.asp)
pages served by and IIS 5.0 server (http://phoenix.jobing.com/). The
problem is that when the proxy sends the HTTP GET request the server
will ACK the GET, but then apparently hang for quite some time (>60
seconds) after which time it will return the headers/content. This
indicates to me that there is a problem with the IIS server but if I
remove the proxy settings from my browser I cannot recreate the issue.

  I've examined the packets sent from the proxy when trying to retrieve
the page, and also the packets from the client when trying to retrieve
the page directly. It appears that the only difference between the
packets is that the Squid proxy sends the 'X-Forwarded-For:' and 'Via:'
headers in the HTTP GET request, and the IIS server sends back the
'Connection: close' header. However, the 'Connection: close' header does
not appear to be significant as it is not sent when using the proxy
(even when the proxy works properly).

  I've read the FAQ and it doesn't mention anything like this that I
found. I also searched the mailing-list archives, but I didn't find
anything useful (with the search criteria that I used). If anyone has
any idea what could be causing (or where I might look further) this I
would appreciate input.

  Please cc: me on any replies as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Thanks in advance.

--
Joshua Colson <jcolson@giant.com>
Sr. Systems Administrator