Re: [squid-users] Intermittent delay when requesting certain pages

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 09:54:48 +0100

On 08.12 12:25, Joshua Colson wrote:
> I'm experiencing some strange delays when requesting certain (.asp)
> pages served by and IIS 5.0 server (http://phoenix.jobing.com/). The
> problem is that when the proxy sends the HTTP GET request the server
> will ACK the GET, but then apparently hang for quite some time (>60
> seconds) after which time it will return the headers/content. This
> indicates to me that there is a problem with the IIS server but if I
> remove the proxy settings from my browser I cannot recreate the issue.
>
> I've examined the packets sent from the proxy when trying to retrieve
> the page, and also the packets from the client when trying to retrieve
> the page directly. It appears that the only difference between the
> packets is that the Squid proxy sends the 'X-Forwarded-For:' and 'Via:'
> headers in the HTTP GET request, and the IIS server sends back the
> 'Connection: close' header. However, the 'Connection: close' header does
> not appear to be significant as it is not sent when using the proxy
> (even when the proxy works properly).

there may be other possibilities:

- your squid doesn't have proper DNS name while client machine does
  and the hang may be caused by DNS timeouts.

- IIS checks for open proxies and tries to connect to some ports on your
  squid proxy, while the proxy has ports firewalled from outside, and the
  hang may be caused by connection timeouts.
  I'd recommend installing ippl or something similar, which may tell you
  what packets come from the network to your machine.

Saving Private Ryan...
Private Ryan exists. Overwrite? (Y/N)