Re: [squid-users] Performance tuning Squid box for ISP traffic

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:58:07 +0800

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 13:52, Lucia Di Occhi wrote:
> I am trying to fine tune (for speed) as well.
>
> >There are lots. depends on whether you want more speed or more bandwidth
> >savings.
> >
> >use Reiserfs for the file-system w/ notail/noatime
>
> Is it really worth using ReiserFS? I mean do you really get all that
> performance improvement over ext3?

I'm starting to doubt what I've read. I guess it depends then. Crawling
the net, I seen/heard references to use reiserfs with notail/noatime
options instead of ext3.

but Duane Wessels's book "Squid:The Definitive Guide" has benchmarks
that show better performance on ext3. (Refer to my reply to Martin Marji
Cermak)

> >Do not use RAID.
>
> Do you mean SOFTWARE RAID? Hardware striping will definately improve
> performance.

Frankly I'm not sure. Most ppl on the list does not encourage using
RAID. I only run the cache on 1 SATA disk.

> >make sure your Cache vs. RAM is optimum
> >~10MB Ram per 1GB Cache
>
> Where does this formula come from? there is all kind of cache, there is an
> IP cache in RAM, there is a RAM object cache, are they taken in account in
> this formula?

This is as per-written on the Squid's FAQ. (IIRC)

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz