[squid-users] Re: multiple outlook authentication request

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:23:50 -0500

Bernard RAOUL wrote:

> Only problem i get is with outlook and html messages which, in case user
> do not want to read this message,
> ask for several logins at every http reference in message.

> I found in archive answer telling that "This is a browser/client issue,
> nothing Squid can do about it." (March 03)
> Anyway, does someone has any idea of fixing the problem on outlook or has
> a turnaround for Squid ?

Disable fetching of external content in HTML email in Outlook. If you can't,
switch to a different mail client that allows you to. Seriously - this
'feature' is a massive source of security problems.

> I though that next 'acl .. browser' could turnaround problem by skipping
> authentication for outlook, but i get authentication window too.

IIRC, Outlook uses the IE engine to render HTML email, so it might use the
same User-Agent string. Use of a packet sniffer (such as tcpdump or
ethereal) will tell you for sure.

Adam