Re: [squid-users] squid and long URLs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:42:28 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Daniel Graupner wrote:

> I just tried www.ibm.com -> I got a response.
> Then I clicked on "Downloads and Drivers"
> (http://www.ibm.com/products/finder/us/finders?pg=ddfinder&trac=SU1) and I
> got a network unreachable error. Squid did not contact any peer for URLs with
> queszion marks in it. In my access.log the URL is cropped to the question
> mark.

See Squid FAQ on how to use Squid inside a firewall.

> This is a very silly behaviour, why does squid crp URLs.

It is infact very smart reasons behind this behaviour of Squid, and
relates to many things, not just questionmarks. As you have only told
Squid you are part of a cache hierarchy, not inside a firewall, Squid
tries to go direct where forwarding requests via (a more or less complex)
cache hierarchy does not make much sense in terms of hit ratio.

> I did not find any options related to that.

Look again.. ;)

The controls placing URLs with questionmarks in this category is in fact
explicitly in the shipped squid.conf, but this is only one category of
many where the above symptom is seen. See above for the solution to your
problem, it is not related to the questionmarks as such but what the fine
detail implications of the questionmarks indicate to Squid.