Re: [squid-users] squid and long URLs

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:48:25 +0800

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 07:06, Daniel Graupner wrote:
> Henrik Nordstrom schrieb:

> >> This is a very silly behaviour, why does squid crp URLs.
> >
> > It is infact very smart reasons behind this behaviour of Squid, and
> > relates to many things, not just questionmarks. As you have only told
> > Squid you are part of a cache hierarchy, not inside a firewall, Squid
> > tries to go direct where forwarding requests via (a more or less
> > complex) cache hierarchy does not make much sense in terms of hit ratio.

That is for the privacy of your users. that option can be removed if
needed.

> I read in the handbook that squid only goes direct when the peer is assumed to be down. This should
> not happen with "default no-query" in the cache peer directive.
>
> >> I did not find any options related to that.
> >
> > Look again.. ;)
> >
> > The controls placing URLs with questionmarks in this category is in fact
> > explicitly in the shipped squid.conf, but this is only one category of
> > many where the above symptom is seen. See above for the solution to your
> > problem, it is not related to the questionmarks as such but what the
> > fine detail implications of the questionmarks indicate to Squid.
>
> Please be more specific. I have no idea why questionmarks should be a problem, other proxies don't
> care about it. The client sends the complete URL to the cache and squid drops something...that
> behaviour is not clear to me.

What Hendrik means is that your questionmarks are only for privacy uses.
Squid does not care otherwise. It only strips everything after the "?"

 Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz
Neuromancer 16:46:34 up 7:41, 5 users, 0.36, 0.14, 0.14