Re: [squid-users] Re: Reverse Proxy SSL + Certificates

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:11:39 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> Right, exactly as I thought. hence, I presume, with the SSL update, then
> squid can actually use the generated server-side cert and encrypt the
> request to be forwareded to the backend server.

Yes, but you still won't be able to use (browser) client certificates to
authenticate to the backend servers.

To use client certificate based authentication the end-user client must
talk SSL directly to the server it is supposed to authenitcate to, not a
surrogate inbetween.

> (hmm.. Now, I need to figure out if Fedora's RPMS are patched for
> SSL, not that I need it though)

They are not patched with the SSL update, for good reasons.