FW: [squid-users] wccp and MTU

From: Damian-Grint Philip <pdamian-grint@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:42:51 -0000

Sk,

We have the same problem here.

The problem with clients typing a proxy server in manually, is that if
that proxy goes offline, all browsing stops - it's much better to use
the WPAD standard (draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01.txt) to push a proxy.pac
script
(http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html)
to clients so you can specify a list of proxies to try, and even allow
to go direct if none are working.

Most of our clients have autoconfigure set, and I force any remaining
traffic to WCCP. It is quite easy to build a Squid server which handles
direct and wccp simultaneously - proxy-aware goes to port 3128 and the
rest is picked up and redirected by the WCCP router as destined for port
80 on non-internal IPs.

So the other half of my solution is as follows:

We use Group Policy to try to force all IE clients to have Automatically
detect settings ticked.
This makes IE look for http://wpad.<defaultdomain>/wpad.dat.

in dns I have:

wpad IN CNAME <intranetserver>

In the root of our Intranet server, I have a wpad.dat file (which on our
network is actually an ASP file that examines the client IP before
returning the autoproxy script to IE. - I took this more complicated
approach because on some Win2K boxes, the MyIPAddress() javascript
function is broken, and I want to split our traffic across multiple
squids and multiple Internet feeds based on subnet. To make it execute,
I configure the IIS server to map GETs for *.dat files to asp.dll.) Be
aware that IE sometimes issues GET for wpad and sometimes for the IP - I
use host headers for each. Also check out the various issues to do with
proxy caching in the Microsoft world.

Your wpad.dat will deliver something like the following; the first three
lines just stop internal servers being accessed through squid:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
        if (isPlainHostName(host) ||
            dnsDomainIs(host, ".ourinternaldomain.co.uk") ||
            dnsDomainIs(host, ".anotherinternaldomain.co.uk"))
                return "DIRECT";
        else
                return "PROXY webproxy1:3128; PROXY webproxy2:3128;
DIRECT";
}

Hope that helps

Phil