RE: [squid-users] Upstream Proxy problem

From: Martyn Bright <brightm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:52:12 -0000

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> And HTTP forbids this message to be sent to Squid (MUST NOT) as Squid
is a
> HTTP/1.0 client (RFC 2616 8.2.3 Use of the 100 (Continue) Status, last
> point)
>
> The upstream proxy is certainly malfunctioning here. It is possible
the
> malfunction maybe (but just maybe, in fact quite unlikely) is in turn
> caused by a malfunction at the web server.
>
> >> To which the squid server adds:-

> >> Proxy-Connection: close
>
> Which is correct according to the HTTP/1.0 specificatios, but which
> unfortunately terminates this request immediately.

I've just noticed this in the header being sent from squid to the
Upstream proxy:-

POST http://de4.autotrader.co.uk/DealerEditv4/services/DealerEdit
HTTP/1.0
Cache-Control: max-age=259200

A trawl of the net suggests that an HTTP/1.0 proxy should not be adding
the Via: statement, let alone adding 1.1 to it.

The input to squid that generates this is:-

POST http://de4.autotrader.co.uk/DealerEditv4/services/DealerEdit
HTTP/1.1
Expect: 100-continue
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
Host: de4.autotrader.co.uk

Perhaps that is why the proxy is sending 1.1 messages back.

Also, another oddity, as you can see above squid is announcing that it
is squid/2.5.STABLE6 although actually the version installed is from a
squid 2.5 STABLE5 rpm